[Prev][Next][Index]

"Experiences with Software Specification and Verification..."

SRC Research Report 93, "Experiences with Software Specification
and Verification Using LP, the Larch Proof Assistant," by Manfred
Broy (69 pages) is now available.  Copies may be ordered by sending
e-mail to src-report@src.dec.com.

ABSTRACT: We sketch a method for deduction-oriented software and
system development.  The method incorporates formal machine-supported
specification and verification as activities in software and systems
development.  We describe experiences in applying this method.  These
experiences have been gained by using the LP, the Larch proof assistant,
as a tool for a number of small and medium size case studies for
the formal development of software and systems.  LP is used for the
verification of the development steps.  These case studies inculde

    * quicksort,

    * the majority vote problem,

    * code generation by a compiler and its correctness,

    * an interactive queue and its refinement into a network.

The developments range over levels of requirement specifications,
designs and abstract implementations.  The main issues are questions
of a development method and how to make good use of a formal tool
like LP in a goal-directed way within the development.  We further
discuss of the value of advanced specification techniques, most of
which are deliberately not supported by LP and its notation, and their
significance in development.  Furthermore, we discuss issues of enhancement
of a support system like LP and the value and the practicability
of using formal techniques such as specification and verification
in the development process in practice.